Wednesday 21 August 2013

It doesn't matter where you start, it matters where you end

My supervisor asked me to attend master students progress presentation yesterday. He told me that you can comment or ask any questions to them. The first student to present is a PhD student. He doing on veneer plywood. After finish present, my supervisor asked me do you have any question to ask. I innocently asked him without any hesitation why you choose to this project differently instead of the way people use to do it. He keeps quiet for a moment before answer me. My supervisor after he finished explained said let me see your justification. My supervisor then asked me what is justification. I told him justification in research is explain why did you choose to do this project. What is the problems that arise making want to do research on it. My supervisor said I asked a good question. This is because the student didn't fully explained why he want to research on it. I'm really sorry for him. I didn't mean for him to be lectured by my supervisor. I just very curious about it and I asked him bluntly. The next two students almost the same things happen. My supervisor then asks them do they have enough time to complete the project in time. I'm feel sorry for them. At the same time, I can't understand why they have to use so complicated methods and machine that isn't available here in university just to do the research. I just think there maybe a simple method to the research and even can obtain the same result that is expected. I just can't understand. Time is limit and yet the method for their research is so complicated and hard to achieve. Yes, the result can be achieve but what if you fail to get the result you expected and then you need to re-do the whole project together. I'm understand they are doing research in master level. They want to show that they can perform well at high level. But for me, a good research is not about expensive machine or complicated method. At the end what they want to see is whether you achieve your objectives, whether you get the expected result. The beginning process is not important. What matter is you complete the race. You finished the project until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment